Author: Addie Parker
•8:00 AM


Do you ever try to do it all? Like on January 1st every year? All of your New Year's resolutions come together with everything you wish would change and fuels a list-making, adrenaline-fueled frenzy of motivation. No? Well it happens to me. And not just on January 1st. More like once every two months or so.

I was thinking about that today. In my small group, we're currently reading Walking with God by John Eldredge. In the section titled "Summer", Eldredge talks about listening for God's voice and how most people only try to listen when they're desperate. And then we can't hear because we haven't learned how to hear. We need to take it one step at a time and listen for the small things. Ask about the small things. We laughed in our group about his example of asking God about which day would be a good day to take his family to cut down that year's Christmas tree. I might not go that far. ha. But I do want to start listening for the little things and taking life (and change) one step at a time.

This is where my organized, list-making self stepped in. I decided to break things down into months this year. Months of focus. I can't do it all at once. It's too overwhelming. I can't change all the things about myself that need improvement just by declaring that I will.

So this month- this month that starts in the middle of February and will end in the middle of March- will be for focusing on spiritual practices. Specifically, starting each day with my Bible (and not just falling asleep on the couch, using my Bible as a pillow), and sprinkling so much prayer into my days that I have nothing left to pray about- at which point, maybe I'll stop and listen.

Because whatever else I want to do, whatever else needs to change about me, that needs to come first. I've been okay at it, but it's not okay for me to get into a rut of hitting the snooze button eight times every morning and skipping out on time with God. I think one thing is going to have to change about how I do it, though. I'm going to have to brush my teeth and wash my face first. And maybe sit at the table. The whole comfy couch thing puts me right back to sleep.
|
This entry was posted on 8:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 Comments:

On 4:06 PM, February 12, 2010 , Kristi said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog about my countertops....yours are pink? wow! I hope you get the chance to paint them and show me pictures!! I just did a new post on them with more details & pictures if you want to check it out! Thanks again for visiting!