Author: Addie Parker
•3:02 PM
Thanksgiving Closet Project, say what?!




It's January 14. Is the closet done? No. Is it going to get done any time soon? Apparently not. It would if I could ever find the time to go to Ikea. But it seems that won't be soon.

But, take heart (all ye who are worried and distressed), my closet can hold its own in the cute department, even if it's not finished.




I caulked all of the cracks between the support pieces and the wall. I painted the wall blue and the trim and ceiling white. I know it sounds crazy to paint the ceiling of a closet, but it really can make all the difference in the finished product.  I painted the top of the shelves brown, and the bottom of the shelves white. It's not something you really notice, but it keeps things from getting too dark in there. The edge of the shelves, however, were a problem.




Until I added ribbon.




Then I was happy.

After all the painting and the ribboning, I added accessories.
This closet has very little actual purpose right now, besides holding my make up. I know that in the coming months and years, it will fill up with baby goods. But for now, it can just be cute. A nice little start to my day.  Most of the boxes are empty. I just have one for hair stuff like headbands, barrettes, and the ever-elusive bobby pin or two. You know, hair stuff. I labeled it "hair." Works for me.





Then I tried to think of any other little things in my house that might need a good home but didn't need to be accessed very often. I came up with one other thing- A (very) small collection of baby items. Two little stuffed animals I've been saving for years and the sweater and hat my grandma knitted for me when I was a baby.  Those items needed a good place to sit around and wait for a new owner.  So in the box they went.




I found a little drawer organizer at Meijer that works for my make up. Still using my Precious Moments Sister coffee mug for brushes and mascara and such.




And that's pretty much it. I have grand plans to putty the hole in the closet door, then paint the whole door white and switch out the knob from brassy gold to brushed nickel. The supplies have been bought, but the time hasn't. Which is why this post is coming to you now. If I wait until I get the door done (and the new trash basket found and bought and the basket for the pillows on the bottom found and bought), then I will never write this post.




You get the idea, though. Pretty closets make me smile. And a smile is a great way to start the day.


I'm linking up to Kimba's DIY day at A Soft Place to Land.
|
This entry was posted on 3:02 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 Comments:

On 10:45 PM, January 25, 2010 , New Every Morning said...

I love the ribbon on the shelf ... great idea!

 
On 11:30 PM, January 25, 2010 , Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It looks so pretty!

 
On 9:20 AM, January 26, 2010 , Thankfully Thrifty said...

Very cute closet!! I hope you leave the door open a lot! :)

 
On 10:34 PM, January 27, 2010 , Rebecca said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ribbon! Beautiful!

 
On 8:26 PM, February 27, 2010 , Remodelaholic said...

Oh, that closet does look beautiful inside! But I seem to have SOOO much more junk! I know I probably need to purge, but I have an infant, and she has a short attention span! Someday though.. THANKS for the beautiful inspiration!