Author: Addie Parker
•8:19 PM
Over Thanksgiving weekend, I decided to "organize" my closet. I conveniently forgot that when I set about organizing anything (especially a closet), I tend to go overboard.




So I emptied the closet, stripped the shelves, taped, painted, and searched high and low for ways to organize it. I've been doing all of this ever since. There will be a full blog post about it when it's done.

But for now, I'm stuck. It didn't come together how I envisioned (which is not surprising since I didn't really have a clear vision going into it). But now my creative spark has fizzled out, and everything is just sitting there waiting for me to finish.

I'm almost done. Really, I am. But nothing that belongs in the closet is actually IN the closet, yet. I haven't figured out how it will all work, where it will all go, and how it all should look.




I'm very picky about how it will look. I LOVE opening a closet and having it be pretty. Pretty is one of my favorite words. And this is a closet I open every morning to do my make up (yes, I do my make up in the hallway), so to be a little inspired by it would be just lovely. 

Yes. I do really expect to be inspired by my closet. It's fun. You should try it.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I think I need something shiny in there. I have shopped my own house, looking for something that would work, but everything I see either already has its perfect place somewhere else, or just isn't what I'm going for for this closet. And the hard part is I'm not really sure what I'm going for. Candle sticks seem silly because it's a closet, and I won't be lighting candles in a closet. Same goes for a vase. No flowers in the closet. But I'm envisioning something like mercury glass, so what does that leave me with? I don't know. It doesn't help that I'm a cheap-o and won't pay much more than $5 for anything.

Update:
I saw some flameless candles in Target the other day, and I thought, "Ah-ha!" But they were $15 a piece. Um, no. But at least I know that's a possibility.
Then, just a few minutes ago, I picked up an old copy of "Home" magazine (June, 208, I just realized). Flipping through, I came across a photo of a workspace that I love.

Here, I took some pictures of the magazine for you...




So what I realized after looking at these photos again was that my little closet needs some pattern. Something interesting. Plain blue walls, plain brown shelves, plain white boxes, plain white potted (fake) plants. Pattern would be good, here. So I have a new mission- pattern and shine! I know, it's totally ambitious. And yes, I'm making fun of myself. And just so you know, I really do realize how trivial this is. I am not actually worried in the least about how this closet will turn out.  But I enjoy the process, and I super-duper enjoy the end result.

And now that I've used "totally" and "super-duper" in the same paragraph. I'm going to stop blogging and start thinking about patterns.

Oh, one more thing. On the let's-make-over-Addie's-blog thing, I'm making progress, but I'm nowhere near done. I have a lot to learn about html, and I'm working with a slow computer and a slower internet connection. It's going to take some time. Patience, friends. : )
|
This entry was posted on 8:19 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 Comments: