Author: Addie Parker
•7:33 PM
I have a friend who told me a story. She said that when she was eight years old, her mother came to her with some bad news.
   "Renee, I was doing laundry today, and the washer ate your blankie."
   Bad news, indeed.  Renee was sad. Renee missed her blankie. But Renee got over it.
   She was telling me this story because just that weekend- and we were in ninth grade at this point- she had opened up a closet and found-

her blankie.
Neatly folded on a shelf.

   My mom never did such a thing. And thank you, Mom. What did happen, however, is that I kept my blankie. I kept it close. I have slept with it every night for my whole life. Except that one time when I was six, and we went to Grandma's house. I forgot it, and it was too far away to go back and get it. I didn't get any sleep that night, and the brown pipe-cleaner antennae on the butterflies my grandma had decorated with freaked me out. Then there was the time we visited my sister for the night. I was in college. I forgot it, and it was too far away to go back and get it (yeah, yeah, you've heard that before). Luckily, at that point in my life, I had discovered Tylenol PM, so I made it through the night.
   But other than those two nights, my blankie has seen me through every season of my entire life. All twenty-six years. All eleventy-million tears I've cried.

And it shows.

   My blankie is sadly becoming less of a blankie, and more of a set of strings, held together by sheer will to carry on.
   My mom used to ask me, "What will happen when you get married? You can't bring your blanket into bed with your husband!"
   My reply was simple. "If my husband doesn't want my blanket to sleep with us, then I married the wrong man."
   Apparently, I married the right man because he's just fine with it.

   But what do I do, now? How far do I let it go before there's nothing left of my blanket to tuck into my arm? What do I do with it when I decide (for the blankie's own good, of course) not to sleep with it anymore?
   I am sad. I don't like the idea of giving up this comfort.
   I suppose when that day comes, I will carry on. I will burrow into my husband's shoulder. I will find new independence. I will have one less thing to pack when I go on trips. And I will have one less quirk.
This entry was posted on 7:33 PM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 Comments:

On 9:10 PM, October 23, 2009 , jandidean said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog (and leaving a comment)! This entry made me smile. My daughter is nearing her eighth birthday and her blankie is already becoming transparent. I am planning on making her a new quilt and adding her blankie in with the batting. It won't be the same as having her original blankie but it will let it live on inside of her new quilt.
Good luck on your first quilt!

 
On 1:00 PM, November 09, 2009 , thismamablogs said...

I remember you waking me in the middle of the night to find said blankie. It was always in the same spot, tucked in between the bed and the wall.
It saddens me that your blankie might be on it's last strings. I hope you can find a way to preserve it and continue using it.

p.s. That hubby of yours is a pretty awesome guy.

 
On 1:20 PM, November 09, 2009 , The Lady said...

I know! I was going to put that story in, but I had to edit, otherwise stories about my blankie could go on waaaaay too long!
You know what though? I now wake up my husband in the middle of the night to help me find my blankie. Mostly because he's closer to the light switch than I am.

 
On 12:41 AM, November 10, 2009 , Dayka said...

Someone else said what I was going to, which was use whatever you have left to make a quilt. A great way to keep your blankie going for many more years of enjoyment