Author: Addie Parker
•11:21 AM



What happens when you leave a lady alone with a plain gift, a spool of ribbon, and some tissue paper?
{Oh, and make sure she's in a hotel room the night before a wedding with no real resources.}

 

So what really happened was that we rushed to get out of town on Friday afternoon, drive to the Big City, pick up my husband's tux, and make it to the rehearsal on time.  On the way there, we stopped at a Rite Aid to get a card and a bow for the top of the gift. But Rite Aid's bows were tragically insufficient for the super-fun bird cage and bird wrapping paper that I had used. So I picked out some coordinating tissue paper and ribbon. That evening, after the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, I set up shop in the hotel room. I realized at that point that I had no tape and no scissors.
That's okay.
I grabbed my husband's pocket knife and went to work.  I pulled out my old homecoming-float-flower-making skills and delighted in creating something beautiful.  The following is a tutorial so that you can duplicate the project when you find yourself in a similar jam (or when you just want to add something whimsical to the top of a gift).

Step 1: Cut your tissue paper down into manageable squares. I wanted large flowers, so I cut each layer of tissue paper into four pieces. They were large. I'd say an 8" by 8" square would be sufficient for a medium-size flower. Use at least six layers of tissue paper for a full flower.
 

Step 2: Fold up the squares (keeping the layers together) into an accordion. It doesn't have to be exact. It doesn't have to be perfect.
 

Step 3: Tie a length of ribbon around the center of the accordion. I used probably about 12" pieces of ribbon. Less is fine. More is fine, too.
 

Step 4: Make sure your ribbon is tight and your knot is secure. The knot will be on the bottom, so it doesn't need to be pretty.
 

Step 5: Take each layer of tissue, and start GENTLY pulling it toward the center of the flower. Depending on the quality of your tissue paper, it could tear quite easily. So be gentle!
 

This is what your flower will look like from the bottom.
 

Keep going. Why would one flower be enough?! I made three.
 

Step 6: Secure your flowers to the top of the gift. I just tied the ribbon from the back of the flower to the ribbon that was around the box. You could use tape if you're so organized that you have it on hand.
 

Step 7: Take pictures for all to see. You'll want to blog about it, of course. And you'll definitely want to let me know that you did. : )
 

 

Step 8: Proudly march your gift through the reception, and bask in the compliments as you make your way to the gift table.
 

Step 9: Enjoy the day. What a lovely couple.



See how other creative ladies are expressing themselves at the Creative Cats Friday party at Poppies at Play and DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.












This entry was posted on 11:21 AM and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Comments:

On 10:52 PM, November 09, 2009 , Katie@Yoga Gal said...

So creative! I am going to use this idea for some of my holiday packages! :D

 
On 11:32 PM, November 09, 2009 , Pamela said...

Love that wrapping paper! Where did you purchase it?? It would be perfect to line the back of a cabinet with. Love the flower bow as well!

 
On 12:16 AM, November 10, 2009 , rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Love the red flowers with that black and white paper. Perfection.

Not only could I do this, but I bet it would keep my 12 year old busy for hours. And I could take the credit thankyouverymuch ;) Brilliant idea.

 
On 12:36 AM, November 10, 2009 , Dayka said...

I love this post!!! I love to learn about wrapping beautiful gifts (simply) and this one is great. Those flowers are so beautiful, and useful for any occasion/holiday. It's easy to keep lots of tissue paper on hand to make these when needed. I'm surprised more people haven't commented! I'm bookmarking this post.

 
On 9:14 AM, November 10, 2009 , The Lady said...

In response to Pamela's question... I purchased the wrapping paper at Hobby Lobby last spring. I should have gotten more than one roll!

 
On 10:41 AM, November 10, 2009 , Heather@PixieDust said...

those look so pretty and much better than anything you would have bought!